What are the Private IP addresses for use in LANs

All about your local area networks. Home and work related at the moment. We may split it again if it becomes necessary.
This includes Wi-Fi, which is also part of your LAN.
CC_Support
Site Admin

What are the Private IP addresses for use in LANs

Post by CC_Support »

Private IP addresses are non-routable addresses. That is, IP addresses that will not cross over on to the public Internet. You can safely use them inside your network, and they will be protected from access from outside (from the internet) unless you specifically make them otherwise.

There are more than enough private IPs for everyone to use, and there are several ranges to choose from. Most of the time, your Router will come pre-programmed with one of them in.

Here they are in easy format:
  • 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.254, subnet default is 255.255.255.0
  • 10.0.0.1 - 10.255.255.254, subnet default is 255.0.0.0
  • 172.16.0.1 - 172.31.255.254, subnet mask default is 255.255.0.0
You can change the subnet mask if you know what you are doing and have a need to do so, otherwise I would just keep to the default.
Technically the .0 and .255 endings are part of the above networks, but they are non-usable addresses, so I have left them off the list.
I am an official CritchCorp Support Team member and as such my solutions are based primarily on our technologies. If we don’t have a solution, then we will look outside our Services and our Shop.
As the Site Manager, my word is final in any argument.
Image Image Image Image